Ghosts - UFO's - Cryptozoology
LIVE, 8TH Feb, 9pm. Uk.
Paranormal talk show.
Feel free to ask questions before we go live
Location: Wharren percy
Investigators: Lee, Paul, Dave, Chrissie, Andrea, Larry
Video Investigation: Yes
wharram percy village ghost sightings investigation
Wharram Percy Village Ghost Investigation
wharram percy village ghost sightings investigation:
Wharram Percy, a deserted medieval village in Yorkshire, has been occupied by humans since the Iron Age. Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Normans have all lived there. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The Village thrived until 1517 when Baron Hilton, the then landowner evicted the families and knocked down their homes to make room for extra sheep pasturage. (This was when the wool industry was taking off in England).
Although the village remained deserted the church of St. Martin's continued to draw a congregation from nearby villages for a further 400 years. Until 1870 when a new church in neighbouring Thixendale was built. The church became dilapidated and the lead from the roof was stolen, sadly then part of the tower fell down in early 1960 after a storm. Leaving what we see now, the remains of the abandoned church.
The name WHARRAM is derived from an Old Scandanavian word meaning "at the bends"; PERCY is the family name of the Duke of Northumberland who were lords of the manor from the 12 - 14c. During the 17 and 18c. The land was given over to sheep, but was plowed again in the 18c. The present worker's cottages are all that remain of the 18c farm, and were occupied until the 1970's.
The medieval remains of a mother and daughter found in North Yorkshire shows signs of an attempted Caesarean operation, scientists have revealed.
The 900-year-old grave at Wharram Percy held the remains of a woman aged between 25 and 30 with a baby. A study of the remains by English Heritage showed the woman died during her pregnancy and the foetus was cut free from the womb in a bid to save it. Nearly 700 skeletons have been found at the 12th century site near Malton.